A fine line in terminology,

When images are created for distribution, they're often then referred
to as "appliances" particularly when they're pre-configured for some
purpose (eg a LAMP stack). For example, 3 years ago I created a VMware
appliance using 11.1/GroundworkOpensource/Nagios bundled with my own
custom configurations for network monitoring in a Windows network.

Distributing an appliance like that typically saves weeks if not
months, instead typically you can be in Production within 30 minutes
after pushing the "On" button.

If the person has the DVD install, it takes only about the same amount
of time to build your own base image compared to exchanging gigabyte
files (typically about 1.5G compressed in my experience) over WANs.

Also, it's probably not that useful to simply test whether the image
launches (it almost certainly should unless it'a corrupted) but
directed and organized testing could be useful... ie. special
peripheral support in VMware, benchmarking (useful benchmarks require
knowhow).

IMO,
Tony