On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Drew Adams <druony...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is my first post to this mailing list! I want to share with everyone that
> I have set up a "Learning Linux Through openSUSE" workshop in Riverside, CA on
> April 9th at 5pm at the Blood-Orange Infoshop. If all goes well it should be a
> regular thing that I will be co-instructing with a friend of mine (who is also
> a fellow openSUSE user). This will be the first "formal" event like this that
> I have taught. Is there any advice or wisdom that can be shared with me so
> that it can be as successful as possible? I am very excited to be doing this
> and am looking forward to helping others get to know openSUSE.
>
> Drew Adams
> --

Drew,

Are you teaching or doing a presentation? If you are teaching, DO NOT
USE SLIDES!!! The biggest mistake anyone makes when trying to teach is
to use slide. Trust me on this.

Kostas is right that you need to have fun, but if you are going to
teach, then come up with 10 points.  From those ten which 5 would be
the best,  from those five come up with 5 to 10 minutes for those
topic.

Here are the five things I have high lighted when I teach openSUSE for
new uses.

1) Installing -- The easy ( a quick walk thru)
2) Desktop -- ( Use KDE since it more like windows for first time
users, then hi-light apps that are on Mac ( iTunes, ) windows
(Offices) then show what apps equal.
3) YaST -- How it so easy to manage your system
4) Installing Software -- from the command line to the GUI, show them
how to add other repos, such as Packman.
5) How to customize their desktop -- Wiget, KDEAPPS.ORG, KDEART.ORG, Compis.

If you have time cover how openSUSE not just for Desktop, but for
server as well.

Wrap it up with about support ( the best theme is you are never alone
), forums, mailing list, and wiki.

On keep thing were a lot people fail,  be interactive. Do just talk,
same if you are doing slides.  Don't wait until the end to Q & A.

Basically what you are doing is create a synopsis for your class.

Now if it a talk, then course use slides. GIve a brief history of
openSUSE, high light what going on the community, Tumweed, Evergreen,
OBS, and SUSE Studios.  Then use the guide from above to create your
slides on.  But again focus on how easy openSUSE for new users.

One of the biggest reason for people to go to Ubuntu, it how they
present how easy it is to use for first time Linux Users.  One of
things I am working on a guide lines on how to make window and mac
users feel at home. Examples, how they can open their docs with
LibreOffice  or use RhythmBox to access their iPod, How we have great
suppor for smart phone Banshee/Dolphin/Nautilus.

If they are gamers, show them how wine can be used to play World of
Warcraft. DOSBOX brings old games a live. Supertux gives them their
Mairo fix.

Sorry, being an ex-teacher myself I tend to go on.

If need any help please let group know. Hopefully Drew that gives you
an enough to start on.

Pup
--
(678) 636-9678