On 2011-03-27 Kim wrote:
> Am 26.03.2011 21:56, schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> > So, about the article. It is done - but there is no way to vote on
> > flickr, right? And facebook doesn't allow you to show the results
> > in a widget on our news.o.o page or somewhere else... GRRRRR. How
> > annoying.
>
> This is.... :/  okay let us think of another solution
>
> > So what to do, just tell ppl to upload and share, that's it? We can
> > write a new article later, highlighting a few good ones&  mention
> > who got most likes on facebook;-)
>
> Yes, another article to show a few good ones and the most likes on
> facebook would be very nice, but how to show some good ones? I mean,
> you maybe like photo 1 whereas I like photo 83 and Manu maybe like
> photo 91 and so on? Maybe we do it in two polls.
>
> At first, everybody can upload his photo. Then we choose five photos
> (some people of the project choose them) and we use five photos with
> high "like" on facebook. With these 10 photos we create a poll and
> let decide the user, or everybody who wants and then we publish the
> desktops into a ranking in another article and the whole thing is
> done :)
>
> thanks

Still on this, I do want to get this out but just couldn't find a good
solution. Now I might have someting:
http://suse-art.org/index.php?xcontentmode=8021

the suse-art site is part of the opendesktop.org series of sites (eg
gtk-apps.org, kde-apps.org etc) and is run by Frank Karlitschek, KDE and
openSUSE dude (the guy behind Bretzn!).

We currently can't easily show the screenshots on news.o.o but I would
guess that there either is a solution to be written for that on our side
(I know the opendesktop.org sites support the OSC spec*) or Frank could
trow something together...

The question is of course - how. Kim, you could contact frank, tell him
about the idea to do a show-us-your-desktop and if he has suggestions on
how to best use his site... If he's OK with that in the first place
(knowing him, no worries about that). And if he can help us figuring out
how best to do voting (probably just using the build-in voting of his
site) and if we can somehow show a slideshow on a site of ours like the
news.o.o article. Maybe he can even create a separate category for this,
eg 114Desktops or something like that :d

Now you're an editor, Kim, you can then edit the article yourself and
ask for review etc. Yes, Kim, with great power comes great
responsibility!

@everyone:
While we're at it, how about giving that suse-art a bit more attention
in general, it's a very nice initiative... I'd much rather use that than
facebook - frank is surely less evil than them . The little income he
gets from the site is spend on things like Bretzn and ownCloud - I would
gladly help him increase the clicks on ads on his site :D