On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Kostas Koudaras <warlord...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I am going to say have much love inside them because you know you
> are all my friends.
> We have ambassadors in 47 countries which means that we have users of
> openSUSE at 47 countries at least so making 47 different local mailing
> lists would be great,if those ML's had traffic
> If they don't those are practically useless.
>
> Now I will tell you what I made so that you see some things a bit more clear.
> I asked a local mailing list when I thought I could work with it. I
> asked a second one about translation when it became clear we needed
> one.
> The first question is if you really need one. By need I mean post
> there almost daily and have members communicate and help each other
> and inform people. Having a ML just to have 2-3 mails per month and in
> a language that you can do it in another ML, the way I see it, and
> think about it, might cause some problems to the local community you
> are making the list to support.Consider that you must have people to
> support all levels of users(at least most of them).
>
> Also think about all that confusing things Bryen said ;-) and how many
> local ML can confuse users.
>
> Having many lists make the Global community lose important feedback
> and honestly that is the reason we tell Greek people if they have a
> problem they can explain in English, write at opensuse-project and not
> in opensuse-el since others users can benefit in various ways with
> answers they will get.
>
> Now about what Chuck said about a local event,I think that even if you
> had an opensuse-USA list, states are so big that this problem would
> not be solved.
> Also don't underestimate the help a Greek or a French or a Belorussian
> can give you in a local event in the states,more ideas are never bad.
> No one tells you how to run things, bottom line you always do what you
> want,but having more ideas if you have a well-structured way of
> thinking can never be harmful.
> I am not against local ML, on the contrary I am a big supporter but
> only if think it can really change things to the better and only if
> you really think that the existing lists don't serve you they
> desirable way.
> Bottom line on that, if you think a ML can help your local communities
> go for it but have in mind that it can also weaken a local community
> if it does not work well, I know a couple of examples.
> I would suggest to start where we started and that is an IRC channel,
> announce it on the project ML and then talk with people there if you
> really need a ML.
> If you all agree to that go for it.
>
> That is my opinion and I certainly don't want to play the smart-ass here :-)
> Think about it
>
> Kostas

You know Kostas, for someone who talks a lot, you actually talk a lot of sense.

You raise some very similar points to those mentioned by Henne and
Bryen but the way you express it is very persuasive.

So to find a better approach

I had a look on the Communication page

 http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Communication_channels

and it seems the best thing to do is ask people to sign up to the Project list

aspects of the openSUSE distribution and community are discussed. Join
us! "

and to include Australia in the subject line. People can then filter
out those messages if we are making too much noise.

hopefully this will be a satisfactory solution.

cheers,

Helen

--
IRC: helen_au