Am Montag 23 Mai 2011, 10:27:46 schrieb jdd:
> Le 23/05/2011 10:17, Jos Poortvliet a écrit :
> > This list came up with the idea to rename
>
> renaming is really necessary. It's incredibly difficult to explain to
> visitors what is OBS, when it's one of the best idea ever! OBS don't
> even translate (in french at least).
>
> Can somebody explain in, may be, two lines, what exactly the OBS is?
"The openSUSE Build Service (OBS) is an open and complete distribution
development platform. It provides the infrastructure to easily create and
release open source software for openSUSE and other Linux distributions on
different hardware architectures." [1]

You know, a distribution is a whole bunch of packages that go onto your
harddisk in an organized way. These packages (often) contain so called
binary files that make sense for computers, not for a human. Software,
however is (still) written by humans so they use a computer language
that makes sense to humans. To make it consumeable for the computer, this
must be translated to binary and put into packages, which is what the
buildservice helps nicely.

> remember a discussion 5 years ago :-) that never could give an answer,
> but now that many are used with it, we could have one definition.
>
>  From this we could try finding a name
This discussion is finished AFAIK

> hints:
>
> "The OpenSUSE Build Service is a place where programmers can drop they
> code and have it automatically prepared for use in most Linux
> distribution and offer the result to the end users"
This is simply wrong. The process is unfortunately not automatic but a
lot of work, that is why the project has many people doing work as packagers.
The Buildservice is their tool which turns a whole hell lot of work to a
lot of work (only).

Klaas

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Build_Service