Hi all,
I was approached by a few people about a recently published article (1) on news.o.o with regard to people publishing articles on it. Those who were concerned felt that news.o.o. was not a place where people should be posting articles about non-official packages and "random home repos" (2). The thought was that it wasn't a good idea for several reasons, but if someone did want to promote packages, it should be packages that pass QA, license reviews and are accepted into the official repo.

The author updated the article after this topic was brought to his attention, which now includes "As a member of the openSUSE community, I am working to add a new package to Factory and all help from the openSUSE community is welcome. The packages <https://software.opensuse.org/package/ritchie-cli> are currently in my OBS home project available to all openSUSE users interested in testing." This addition shows the intention of the author to bring the package to the official repos, inform the community of the efforts and provides a call to action asking for community help.

Part of the intention to moving to the new format on news.o.o was to get more contributions and also move aware from https://lizards.opensuse.org/

Are we as a project and marketing ok with people posting info on news.o.o. as long as it's community related?

Should we come up with some basic standards to put in the README.md on https://github.com/openSUSE/news-o-o?

What are the thoughts about this?

Should we bring this topic up to opensuse-proj...@opensuse.org?

v/r