Hi Bjørn,

On 15.03.22 15:10, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Bjørn Mork <bj...@mork.no> writes:
>
>> Just drop the unnecssary I2C_SMBUS dependency.  AFAICS, you're only
>> using i2c_smbus_xfer() which is part of the i2c core.
The reason for the ifdefs were mdio_smbus_alloc().

> Looking further at this, I believe there are good reasons to simply
> merge the mdio-smbus implementation into mdio-i2c: You seem to have lost
> some clause 45 specific stuff from commit 6912b712cd75 ("net: mdio-i2c:
> add support for Clause 45 accesses")
>
> And the i2c_mii_valid_phy_id() tests to avoid eeprom access are also
> missing.  Maybe not important, but demonstrating the problems with
> copying code.  Even modules as small as these tend to grow apart over
> time.
>
> I guess the clause 45 support could be important for multigig copper
> SFPs?
Absolutely. I just hope that we will soon have this support. The 10G SFPs
on the RTL93xx are a nightmare to understand.

I'll pick up your suggestion with merging into mdio-i2c and also ask the
original
author of the patch why it was not upstreamed. Maybe we can learn what still
would have been necessary.

Cheers,
  Birger