Dear All,

I'm using Orion 0.7.5b and I've been trying to add a new
application to the default web site.

Here's the relevant parts of my directory structure:

D:\orion\config
D:\orion\default-site
D:\orion\default-site\beans
D:\orion\default-site\html
D:\orion\default-site\servlets
D:\orion\newbie-stuff        <--- contains exact copies of
default site's web-application.xml and principals.xml
D:\orion\newbie-stuff\beans
D:\orion\newbie-stuff\html   <--- contains my application's
index.html
D:\orion\newbie-stuff\servlets   <--- contains
SnoopServlet.class
D:\orion\servlets

I really want all the files that constitute my "Newbie Demo"
web application ( i.e. html, jsp, beans, servlets ) to be
totally separated from the \default-site directory structure,
but I still need the application to be part of the default web
site. To achieve this I've created a \newbie-stuff directory
and the supporting sub-directory structure, but I'm having real
trouble adjusting the relative path tags.

With Magnus' help I've managed to add the "Newbie Demo" web
application to the default web site by adding the following
line to D:\orion\default-site\web-site.xml:
<web-app
root="/newbie">../newbie-stuff/web-application.xml</web-app>

It seems that the path in the above <web-app> line is relative
to the location of the web-site.xml that its contained within (
i.e. D:\orion\default-site\ ). Without changing any other xml
files this has enabled me to successfully request my index.html
file ( located in D:\orion\newbie-stuff\html\ ) by using
http://localhost/newbie/        ( ........... hooray )

This is a major step in the right direction, but I'm now having
trouble invoking servlets that reside in
D:\orion\newbie-stuff\servlets. I was hoping that typing
http://localhost/newbie/servlet/SnoopServlet would invoke
D:\orion\newbie-stuff\servlets\SnoopServlet.class, but it
doesn't  ( ......... booooooo )

Within the /newbie-stuff/web-application.xml referenced above
there are a number of additional relative paths as shown:

<!-- Classpaths used by servlets and beans -->
<classpath>./servlets</classpath>
<classpath>./beans</classpath>

<!-- Document root, root for the documents for this site -->
<document-root>./html</document-root>

<!-- Principals local to this application -->
<principals>./principals.xml</principals>

My question is which directory are these paths relative to ?

Are  they relative to :
(a)  the directory containing the web-application.xml file (
i.e. D:\orion\newbie-stuff\ )
(b)  the directory containing the web-site.xml file for the
default web site ( i.e. D:\orion\default-site\ )
(c)  the <document-root> directory specified in the
web-application.xml file ( i.e. D:\orion\newbie-stuff\html\ )
(d)  some other directory I've not considered

I've tried a number of relative path combinations, but I just
can't get my set up to work as I want it to.

Any help with relative paths gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance

Gary Janes          ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
HSBC Asset Management
London
UK

This information (including any attached information) is issued by
a member of the HSBC Asset Management Group of companies for the
information of its non-private customers only.  It is not an
invitation to buy or sell securities. HSBC Asset Management makes
no representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as to
its completeness or accuracy.

Each page attached hereto must also be read in conjunction with any
disclaimer which forms part of it.