Hi,
After three days of work to try and get Orion going for a simple example using our infrastructure code, I give up.

Here are the details.

1. We use our own XML lib (xml-tr2) to get info from a config file. This is used by our Persistence layer and connection pool etc.
2. I created a web app with web.xml and also tried it as a real j2ee app with application.xml

Here are the problems with 0.94

1. Can't load a superclass that is clearly in the jar (stack trace below) even though the JSP has sucessfully
loaded and instantiated two beans that work.
2. In a web application if classes are included from J2EE (even though this was a mistake) it causes problems.

Here are the problems with 0.96
1. My XML config file is parsed with included white space which represents extra Text Nodes. This caused my code not to work here. When all whitespace is removed from the file my code works again.
Somehow this must not be using xml-tr2.
2. Then nothing happens and the JSP apparently just stops half way through the service method.

I can only think of one thing-classloader problems. I am not an expert but application code can't conflict with server code in this way. Otherwise the system is brittle, libraries used are brittle and ...
To go to J2EE we can't redo everything so our code needs to co-exist in the system. First, we could take advantage of the build in connection pools and transactions, and then add EJB and eventually migrate all our code base to the new architecture J2EE.

I also launched the vm using -verbose and it seems to load everything until it gets to my scriptlet code. I looked at the generated JSP code and that looked fine as well. The only thing that's a little different in our code is that the Persistent class below is abstract. Our code works in JRun, Resin, Tomcat and older versions of Orion.

Suggestions for Orion
1. Tracing controlled by the developer and other features to help the users or Open Source.
2. Good luck because I think there must be alot of potential with this server.

Sorry that I can't get any mileage out of it.

Eric

--------------------------------
4/11/00 4:49 PM web-app: Started
4/11/00 4:49 PM web-app: Servlet error
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/telesoft/database/Persistent
        at com.evermind.naming.id.findClass(JAX)
        at com.evermind.naming.id.findClass(JAX)
        at com.evermind.naming.id.findClass(JAX)
        at com.evermind.naming.id.findClass(JAX)
        at __jspPage0._jspService(__jspPage0.java:70)
        at com.evermind.server.http.EvermindHttpJspPage.service(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.pk(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.JSPServlet.service(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.c1.l_(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.c1.forward(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.dc.ca(JAX)
        at com.evermind.util.b.run(JAX)