Ok,  I believe I understand.
I have gotten my maxsource.maxor.com.csr ( I believe this is generated by
the keytool )
and I have maxsource.maxor.com.cer (  generated key from
https://www.thawte.com/cgi/server/test.exe )

When I try to install the .cer file, I get the listed error.
_________________
Steve S. Gee Jr.
Certified Java Programmer
Maxor National Pharmacies
Information Technologies

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
806.324.5540
www.maxor.com
806.324.5400

                    ariel.arambur

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]            To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    (Ariel               cc:

                    Aramburu)            Subject:     Re: SSL -- Another errror, but
getting closer

                    04/17/00

                    08:35 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "Ariel"

I can tell you what the error, means, but I do not know if I can help you
fix it.

:-)

"Failed to establish chain from reply"

I guess that you are trying to install a certificate for your server. But
all certificates must have a root certificate from a certification
authority (CA cert). This is called a chain.

Here in Sweden I buy my certificates from a company who in its turn, buy
the rights from Verisign. So I have a chain of three certificates: my own,
the CA for the company who sold me my certificate, and the CA for Verisign,
that certifies the company I buy from. That is the chain. There needs to be
always a root certificate.

To install in keytool a certificate, you need first to install the CA cert,
that it, the certificate of the entity who sold you your certificate.

If I get from the internet a verisign certificate for my server, I need to
install first the Verisign CA cert before I try to install in keytool my
own verisign certificate. In the case of keytool, the default keytool
database that comes with java ( in the jdk directory) includes 3 or 4
defaults CA, so you might succedd with verisign, but the general rule is
install first the certificate, which is public,  for the authority who gave
you your own certificate before installing yours.

Is that clear ? Did it help ?