I would like to be able to log on to an Orion web-application by verifying
the password against an encrypted value (as in a regular unix password
file).  It seems that to do this I must provide custom implementations of
the UserManager and the User interfaces, and indeed I can get a solution to
work in this way.

I would prefer to use a solution in which an entity EJB acted as an
interface to the password table, but I do not know how to access an EJB's
home interface from within the UserManager code.  If I try the usual scheme
I get a NamingException saying "Not in application scope", which is true.

The EJBUserManager supplied with Orion must overcome this same problem, so
it must be possible, but I don't have access to its code.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick