I have the exact same problem

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor A. Salaman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 1:14 PM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: urgent: error accessing jar file

> >CASE 2:
> >ECS might be using the wrong ClassLoader... Apache code
> usually misbehaves
> >in this aspect. I only wish they would take advice... In
> Tomcat this might
> >work, since contrary to Orion, Tomcat has no notion of
> REALLY isolated web
> >applications.
>
> can you elaborate on this a bit more? There is no ClassLoader
> mentioned in
> the code that uses ResourceBundle. And what does Tomcat do
> differently than
> Orion? Does it not conform to the J2EE spec? Why does it work under
> tomcat/jdk1.3 ? Please enlighten me (mere mortal :)).

It's better if you look at how the ResourceBundle method is coded,
specifically the getClassLoader() method there.

About conformance... hmm... the specification leaves a lot of things to the
implementors. Sometimes it is so broad in certain aspects, that it's hard to
mantain compatibility among implementations.

Both Tomcat and Orion employ advanced ClassLoader techniques, but the
implementation details are different among the two. The fact that in one
server you can see the "bug" and on another doesn't, implies that the
internal implementation of Tomcat is different and does not exhibit such an
error or it has been masked/patched to overcome such deficiency in the JDK
1.3.

> BTW, if I use jdk 1.2.2, killing the process now yields ugly
> error messages.
> However, trying to use the following command:
> java -jar admin.jar ormi://localhost admin adminpw -shutdown
>
> yields another error:
> Error: com.evermind.reflect.UndeclaredExceptionTypeException:
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
>
> am I again missing something?

Don't know, it doesn't happen here....