I've been learning EJB from Monson-Hefel's book and was pleased that i got
the examples working and that i understood (most of) it.  I went on to try
and create an EJB application of my own when I ran into a roadblock.  I
realized in all the examples, when creating an entity bean, the app had to
supply the primary key value.

Is there a way to let the database take care of the primary key value
creation?  I just want to create a new entity bean (and therefore a new
record in the DB) without worrying about what its primary key should be.  i
want to let the DB take care of that.  Can anyone help me with this?  is
this process server specific or j2ee specified?  thanks for any help.

ekw

p.s. I must say this list has been very responsive to my questions.  other
EJB servers i tried (jboss, for example) and where i have asked questions on
their respective list have yielded almost nothing, probably because my
questions are so newbie.  thanks!