Hi,

i think, there is some confusion out there what's the right way to obtain an
initial context and how to specify the bindings for ejbs (and me too need a
little help).

There are (at least) two factorys provided by orion, the
com.evermind.server.ApplicationClientInitialContextFactory and the
com.evermind.server.rmi.RMIInitialContextFactory.
Up to version 1.1.21 orion automatically put a jndi binding with the beans
name specified in the ejb-jar.xml in the context which one got via the
RMIInitialContextFactory - a very handy thing, only that it seems not to be
covered by any spec... and the newest version does not offer these bindings
any more, so that clients relying on RMIInitialContextFactory will fail in
the future it seems (i discovered this, because i used this feature, too).

Now i'm trying out to use the ApplicationClientInitialContextFactory, and
found that documentation about the application-client.xml is rare - not
regarding the contents but regarding the place, where to put it. I have for
example an application with two modules, which reside _unpacked_ in the
application directory, like

appname
- META-INF
  - application.xml
- module1
  - de.... (classes, this is actual a link to my classes dir)
  - META-INF
    - ejb-jar.xml
- module2
  - de.... (classes, this is actual a link to my classes dir)
  - META-INF
    - ejb-jar.xml

each of these modules containing some beans, which are deployed correctly,
it seems.

I tried to put two application-client.xml files in the META-INFs of the two
modules (on the server side), but the ApplicationClientInitialContextFactory
still complains, that it can't find the
META-INF/application-client.xml. So i suspected, i'll have to put it
somewhere on the client side - but where? Or do i have to specify some magic
words in the application.xml?
I do not want to pack my classes into a client jar, if possible, but leave
them unpacked in my CVS tree  (within Netbeans/forte) while developing.

Could someone please shed some light on the application-client.xml and how
it's intended to be used?

Thanx,

Jens Stutte

[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.netmedia.de