That answers only a part of question. Where do I
specify the minimum number of connections in the pool.
Typically the way a connection pool works is like this

At the startup(i.e when the application server is
started), a few number of connections are
established(specified by some kind of parameter). This
is called the low water mark. After this point
onwards, as the requests are coming in, the pool keeps
growing and shrinking in size but within min and max.

Vimal