1) I have had the most success lately running 4 cpu(PIII xeon 800) intel boxes
with 2gig ram.
2) I prefer Linux(Currently using Redhat 7), but use Solaris(Especially Free
Solaris) as well.
3) I use the Sun JDK 1.3 exclusively.
4) Yes I do cluster. No extra hardware. I have clustered as many as 20 boxes
Using Inprise App Server. I have not had a chance to try the same with Orion,
but it looks like it should work fine.
5) Traffic on one of our sites has been as high as 7,000 requests per minute,
but that was an unusual load (Usually between 500/1500 per minute), still IAS
handled that with ease. I am sure Orion will be about as good. Though maybe not
quite as fast. Inprise is very fast, but at the cost of not being fully J2EE
compliant.
6) I have had great success with the Linux/Sun JDK combo since the 1.3 release.
Before that I would have said stick with Solaris, but now with Sun's JDK and
IBM's JDK for Linux I say Linux.

Finally, My advice is use NT or Win2K only if you have no other choice. They
work fine, but in my experience, uptime and security is not what it is with the
other OSs I mentioned.