From: Joel Shellman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2000 10:35 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: Re: There has GOTTA be a BETTER way !!!!

> EJB's are great.... if you like tripling the amount of code you have to
> write....

Depends on what you are comparing it to--CMP reduces a lot of db code.

> How is everyone building their web apps.... with hand coded programs, or
> using automagic tools?

We're hand coding.

> It sure seems like there should be some sort of tool that you can just
point
> at database tables, and have it build the jsp or ejb entity bean.

Yes, there are those tools. I believe Together will do that for example.

> shouldn't there be a tool that you can just drop the bean on an html
> template thus allowing visual access to the bean fields?

Maybe, I don't know.

> You can't access ejb's directly from a jsp page (like a normal bean) can
> you? Any tools that will automagically wrap an ejb in a bean for
> presentation in a JSP?

Yes, you can access an  ejb directly from JSP--at least I'm fairly sure I
saw it being done in one of the examples I was looking at somewhere. I would
never want to, so I didn't care about it at the time.

> Am I off base here,  or are ejb's a lot more work? How can people talk
about
> how EJB's "speed development time"....?!?

EJBs can speed development time for extremely scalable applications that
require transactions, clustering, and other services that the container and
server provide. Once you get used to bean programming--it does not take that
much time to develop them at all--and it gives you very clear
modularity/organization so you know where a given piece of
code/functionality should go.

It's definately not for everyone, though. If all you want is to whip
something out really quick and not so concerned about the things EJBs give
you, try some sort of rapid development framework.

-joel shellman
http://www.ants.com/