In the orion development docs, it recommends setting deployment="true" but
does not say why.  What does this buy you?

Also, is it possible to have a web application that references ejb's but is
not part of a war?  I've deployed my .ear file and everything worked fine.
My web designers are having to rebuild and re-deploy that ear file every
time they make a change.  I've tried setting the name attribute in the
default-web-site.xml file to point to a directory (which had the web.xml
file in the  WEB-INF directory), but it could not find my ejb class files.
I tried putting the ejb class files in the lib directory, but no luck there.
How do you set orion to look at a directory for it's web files instead of a
war?