At 08:41 15.01.2001 , you wrote:
>Not to sound like a hipocrat but I believe the J2EE standard calls for a
>pplication server independence flexibility. You must think to yourself what
>makes your application so dependent on the server it is deployed onto.
>Besides the custom deployment descriptors (orion-ejb-jar, weblogic-ejb-jar,
>jboss, and so on) you should architect your system independent of any app
>server dependent features like clustering, fail-over and load balancing. If
>you sit down and outline the layers that are dependent on the underlying
>mechanism, you will be able to isolate and separate your application. Do
>you rememeber that Java is supposed to be independent of its OS?

LOL

>So, coming back to my point: even if Orion does go under, you should be
>able to switch out to another server and modify some deployment descriptors
>with no problem. I have my application running under Weblogic, Orion, and
>Jboss with only the deployment descriptors different.

no shit? seriously, of course, it is possible to deploy simple applications
independently on different J2EE environments and of course one should use
server-dependent features. I don't know what your level of experience and
the complexity of your application is but it doesn't sound like you've been
involved in the development and maintenance of a large number of complex
J2EE projects (and that is not meant as an offense). First of all you
obviously didn't read the cost factor (primary reason not to deploy on WLS
for us). I'll give you some examples of things that one (or more precisely
we) has to consider or do when moving to another server:

1. we have a homegrown code generation software that generates all entity
beans, all deployment files and some more stuff. has to be modified for the
server dependent parts of the config
2. database based web authentication has to be moved/ported to the
mechanisms available for a different J2EE server
3. procedures/scripts for moving from development to production site, CVS
management of sites etc. would all have to be changed according to the new
configuration requirements
4. all people involved would have to learn how to work with the server
5. system administration scripts/procedures (including monitoring) might
have to be changed
6. All http server specific stuff (filters, virtual directories) would have
to be ported to the new http server
7. all tuning aspects not covered by the spec like transaction-timeouts,
datasource-pool configuration etc would have to be migrated

Regarding cheap alternatives there are additional things:

- If you rely on a fast CMP engine JBoss is not an option (yet)
- How fast does jBoss start with about 30 applications deployed (with about
15-30 EJBs each) the integration with TomCat or Jetty is alpha.quality?

I'm not saying that half a year from now things might not be different but
believe me, we've looked into that quite thoroughly.

Of course, it's all doable but add that up for about 30 productive
applications distributed on 3 production systems with more than 200000
lines of orion-specific deployment information add the testing you need
(remember, that stuff is in production now) and then consider than none of
our customers would pay a penny for that because we recommended orion and
then add the fact that we have to take the manpower for that migration from
current projects. now is that a considerable price to pay for moving to a
different server or what? we have architected the apps very carefully to be
as little orion-specific as possible but there are some things that are
simply not covered by any spec (see above for examples). no doubt that this
wouldn't even be doable if we hadn't coded to the specs but it still is
serious and expensive work.

so that java 101 "but isn't it supposed to be WORA" just doesn't cut it in
real life.

hope that clears up the confusion and the scope of the statements in my
earlier mail.

best regards and no offense,

robert