                From:   Ozzie Gurkan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                Sent:   Monday, January 15, 2001 8:41 AM
                To:     Orion-Interest
                Subject:        RE: Any news from Orion yet??: Rebuttle...

                Not to sound like a hipocrat but I believe the J2EE standard
calls for a
                pplication server independence flexibility. You must think
to yourself what
                makes your application so dependent on the server it is
deployed onto.
                Besides the custom deployment descriptors (orion-ejb-jar,
weblogic-ejb-jar,
                jboss, and so on) you should architect your system
independent of any app
                server dependent features like clustering, fail-over and
load balancing. If
                you sit down and outline the layers that are dependent on
the underlying
                mechanism, you will be able to isolate and separate your
application. Do
                you rememeber that Java is supposed to be independent of its
OS?

                So, coming back to my point: even if Orion does go under,
you should be
                able to switch out to another server and modify some
deployment descriptors
                with no problem. I have my application running under
Weblogic, Orion, and
                Jboss with only the deployment descriptors different.

                I hope this helps and triggers some thought.

                Thanks,
                Ozzie Gurkan

                --- Robert Krueger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

                > >Of course, this is a little unfair - weblogic hadn't had
a new release
                > for
                > >several months, either. They've just had a major release
recently, which
                > >makes it seem like they're more active than Orion, when
that's not
                > >necessarily the case. It might be, but that's not implied
by the
                > situation
                > >at present.
                > >
                > >For the most part, Orion is still very much ahead of the
pack, and the
                > >speed is stil EXCELLENT. While I'm very much looking
forward to a new

                > doesn't buy you much if it isn't reliable. that's the sad
thing. it's
                > true
                > that they are ahead of the pack in a number of fields but
if you're stuck

                > with a serious bug without the slightest hint when things
will be fixed
                > it's still a KO criterion (germanism?). at the moment
we're not switching

                > to an alternative because
                >
                > 1. most of our projects where orion is currently used in
production
                > wouldn't allow a switch to WLS budgetwise
                > 2. OSS alternatives are still far from the completeness
orion offers (sad

                > but it's the truth), which especially hurts if you have a
large number of

                > deployed J2EE applications which we do
                > 3. there is some (not too much) hope left, they have
learned their lesson

                > and won't underestimate QA requirements in the future once
they come back

                > and start releasing updates again
                >
                > at the moment we settled for living with a number of
strange behaviours
                > and
                > awkward workarounds that we simply hope won't break our
necks the next
                > day
                > (which is not a good feeling to live with). one lesson I
have learned is
                > that there is a substantial risk involved in choosing a
brandnew (even
                > standard) technology. I would be more careful next time.
Now too much
                > work
                > has gone into the current setup to change it to other
alternatives and
                > other products supporting the same standards are simply
too expensive.

                > >round of released bug fixes, I'm still waiting for some
things to shake
                > >out before I abandon ship.
                >
                > but you have to admit that it's getting harder to hold on
to that?

                > my 2 c
                >
                > robert

Behalf Of Neville