I thought the same as well. I was supprised however that when making an rmi
call between two different machines, the standard .equals works, however
when used within a servlet it doesn't.

I (incorrectly)imagined that as the ejb container
and the servlet are in the same process that the equals method would work
for sure. However I found the opposite to be true.