You may try this for download any type of file
<code>
            //Ns and MSIE need different content type to force download
      if(-1 < _request.getHeader("User-Agent").indexOf("MSIE") )
              response.setContentType("message/external-body;
access-type=anon-ftp") ;
      else
              response.setContentType("application/octet-stream") ;

      response.setHeader("Content-disposition", "attachment;filename=" +
"yourfilename.ext" ) ;
      response.setContentLength(file_to_send.length());

</code>
~boris