I wonder if the exception is misleading in this case. The OutOfMemoryException
is reporting "unable to create new native thread". Could this be a limitation
on the number of threads a process is allowed to invoke? Could it be that the
JVM has a limitation on the number of threads? Or, could it be that there is
a system resource, such as a process id, that the new thread needs but exceeds
a system limit? Also, can you get your code to show what the JVM thinks it has
in terms of free memory, say via Runtime.freeMemory()?