Dear group,

The www.orionsupport.com site has an good reference for using orion on a
linux or unix machine. However, one important part of system management is
where to locate the orion files and the application/website files, and this
is missing. By choosing the location of these files, we can effectively
integrate common backup strategies and other important system management
tasks.

Programs and even Apache are usually stored somewhere in the /usr directory.
However, I feel that this is the wrong place for Orion, since there are a
significant number of configuration files for the Orion server which do not
make sense in the /usr directory. Other appservers and even database servers
use thier own slice and dice file structure: Weblogic has its own directory
off of root, Oracle has four or more different directories one each for the
program, database, data and transaction logging.

If we are to make an application safe from careless or malicious corruption,
we need to make some use of user ownership and access control on the Orion
file structure. I have found the ownership and permission instructions here
http://www.orionsupport.com/articles/unixprocess.html to be very effective
at preventing un-authorized tampering with the application server. On linux,
the ipchains directives effectively solve the port 80 problem.

For where to locate the directory, I use a strategy that is based upon a
separate directory for the application server (much like Weblogic or
Oracle), but the actual data for the web site or application being in the
"volatile" directories, or directories which change a lot. In addition, the
Orion application should be in its on "partition" so that any massacre of
Orion through an un-known assualt (hackers are smart people too), or simple
mistake by the orionuser could be  effectively walled off from the rest of
the system, including all of our datafiles. By simply wiping the partition
(easy enough without harming the rest of the file system) and reinstalling
after corruption. In this scenario, all we would have to do is keep a safe
copy of the configuration files and log files, and even they can be located
in volatile directories.

My web applications, default applications, and all web data files are kept
in /home/webdev/webdata directories. This makes some sense, because many of
these files are actually developed and stored by users over a network, and
the ../webdata directory is open to be written by a group called
webdeveloper. Thus they can change webfiles...but the actual configuration
changes are left only to the orionuser group. As part of the /home
directory, these directories are treated by most back up schemes as the most
volatile data that should be backed up.

We can similarly keep the deployment directory with its serialization
directories (those directories creating for each application under the
deployment directory) in the /home/orion/deployment directory for the orion
user.

Why did I write this? We are ready for deployment soon, and we have had to
solve all of these problems to create our website. What have we left out?

One thing that concernse me is we don't have a complete list of ports which
orion listens to. Oh, I know they are sprinkled throughout all of the
configuration files, but it would be nice if there was a consise list
somewhere. This would useful in configuring any firewall strategy for
blocking access to rmi, ormi, etc.

regards,

Elephantwalker