I believe the ejb-jar file is the correct place.  I believe in orion, as in
weblogic, the ejb classloader is the parent of each web app classloader,
making classes packaged in you ejb jar available to all web apps (within the
application).  You could also package your classes in a seperate
jar/directory and point to it from orion-application.xml
(application-deployments/%AppName%) using a <lib> tag.

Hope this helps,

Andre