If you have to do some "pre-processing" for a cmp, you can do this in your
slsb versus a sfsb. See this link for the example use case, but it is
essentially when you are using an index key for the cmp, the most common key
for cmp. For example, if you need to swing in and out helper beans, you can
do this in the slsb without incurring the penalty most associated with the
sfsb. This way you can bind what is essentially a business method for
handling the cmp in a session bean, which is where it belongs. This way your
cmp is just about it's little world of indexes and member variables,
where-as your slsb can have a business method
*slsb.getMyContacts("elephantwalker")*, versus

1. some helper bean instanced in a jsp or servlet
*fatbean.getMyContacts("elephantwalker")*, where the fatbean doesn't take
advantage of any of the containers instancing, pooling and other resource
handlers used by the slsb.
2. Some sfsb where the helper beans are instanced and then stay around for
eternity eating up resources in the sfsb.

Brett has a good article on these ideas at flashline:

http://www.flashline.com/content/mclaughlin/current.jsp?sid=989183633781-109
0580543-153

regards,

the elephantwalker