Sure.. you can do this:

some kind of ssl proxy:

1. apache w/ ssl_mod and reverse proxy
or
2. openssl w/ sslproxy

These software frontends handle the conversion from ssl to normal http
headers. The backend would be the loadbalancer from orion, but with no ssl
configuration. These could be on the same machine. Of course, the <frontend
...> tag in the web-site.xml would have to have the proxy address and port,
and not the loadbalancer's address and port.

3. You could also do the same thing with a hardware ssl accelerator (for
example, the sonic wall ssl accelerator) which front-ends the loadbalancer.
There are also many other more expensive hardware solutions to this.

If a dedicated machine is used for 1 or 2, the cost is about the same as 3.

Oracle's strategy for using orion is the same:

1. https:// and http:// static loadbalancing from their apache adapted
frontend (like 1 or 2, above)
2. http session aware loadbalancing from the oc4j loadbalancer (Orion
1.5.x).

So you can be damn sure it works with Orion.

There is a 4th option. This is so clearly a need in the market that nobody
has addressed effectively for the low end, write your own ssl proxy front
end, put in on a "computer and disk on a chip"..there's a cnet article on
how to do this, and start selling it at a price below sonic wall's price.

Likewise, the clustering architecture that Orion uses makes use of multicast
messaging in java. If we had an open interface to this, you could right you
own loadbalancer...;).

Regards,

the elephantwalker

.ps I have found that the only thing the secure="true" controls is which
port is listened to, port 443 (for true) and port 80 for anything else
(secure="apples" makes the loadbalancer listen to the port 80). You can
comment out the ssl-config tag, and have secure-"true" and there are NO
COMPLAINTS. If you do the same in a web-site.xml, the server complains that
there is no secure class....definitantly this is a broken feature :(.