are you shutting down the server properly...
java -d admin.jar ormi://localhost:23791 admin 23 -shutdown force
also i dont thnik you should be deleting the transaction files...from the
messages below it seems that the server recovered and started ok anyway.

Tom Jordan wrote:

        Hi,

        I am having difficulty starting the appserver. I get the error
message below. If I delete the transaction.state file, then the first time
the message goes away, it returns after that. Is there anyway that I can
work around this problem.

        Thanks in Advance
        Tom

        Warning: Error reading transaction-log file
(/D:/devtool/orion/persistence/trans
        action.state) for recovery: premature end of file
        Forced or abrubt (crash etc) server shutdown detected, starting
recovery process
        Recovery completed, 0 connections committed and 0 rolled back...
        Orion/1.5.2 initialized