kevin,

i've also been able to set up clustering but have not reproduced your error.

i did notice that while i was investigating the various config settings,
there was an entry in rmi.xml that i never used, but i could still cluster,
i.e. load balancer redirected my request to one of the orion boxes, and i
could kill a box, then login again, and my request would be sent to box2.

i never did work out what this setting did.

do you know what this does? does it maybe handle transmission of session
data between boxes?

remember, according to the docs you need boxes that are supposed to share
session info to have the same cluster-island id.

      <cluster host="230.0.0.1" id="123" password="123abc" port="9127"
username="cluster-user" />
      Tag that is defined if the application is to be clustered. Used to set
up a local multicast cluster. A username and password used for the servers
to intercommunicate also needs to be specified.

      host - The multicast host/ip to transmit and receive cluster data on.
The default is 230.0.0.1.
      id - The id (number) of this cluster node to identify itself with in
the cluster. The default is based on local machine IP.
      password - The password configured for cluster access. Needs to match
that of the other nodes in the cluster.
      port - The port to transmit and receive cluster data on. The default
is 9127.
      username - The username configured for cluster access. Needs to match
that of the other nodes in the cluster.

i'd be very interested if you're able to get session clustering/failover
working.

cheers,
greg.