Vlad,

As in any App Server environment on the Web, the security vulnerabilities of
the Orion App Server are on two fronts:

Server-side:
Orionserver Security Primer:
http://www.jollem.com/~ernst/orion-security-primer/
Java Best Practices for Server-side Security:
>From Sun:
J2EE:
The Tutorial:
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tutorial/1_3-fcs/doc/Security.html
The Security Blueprint:
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/blueprints/eis_tier/security/index.html
Platform Spec for v.1.3 (go to the Security Bookmark in the .pdf)
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/j2ee-1_3-pfd4-spec.pdf

Additionally, there are potential vulnerabilities in the HTTP server, the
plug-in architecture (especially when using CGI and PHP, Python, Perl or
Jpython scripts/executables - allowed in Orion and rather easy to do, as
well as being very fast).  There was a general discussion about Java-based
HTTP webservers at the WWW Mobile code forum
(link:http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?end=2001-09-22&tid
=196606&start=2001-09-16&list=107&threads=0&), but it didn't resolve
anything.  Bottom line:  in general, currently both the HTTP and Java/J2EE
functionality of the Orion Server is safe from all known exploits and
vulnerabilities in the wild, with the possible exception of a DoS due to
transparent proxying on the server (Cisco Routers and Xerox Printers, as
well as most Cable and DSL modems are similarly vulnerable).  Orion is no
more vulnerable than Apache/Tomcat or IIS, and, as recent history has
proven, is actually far less vulnerable than the Microsoft products for
similar functionality (as well as being FAR faster and easier to develop
for - Link:  http://www.orionserver.com/benchmarks/benchmark.html , sadly,
the BEAst will not allow Orion to continue to publlish stats, but you can
read about that following the links:).

The second major place that any  J2EE AppServer is in the database.  'Nuff
said, separate issue and separate practices.  Use a secured (wrappered or
tunneled with encruyption) HTTP or RMI connection to the database all JDBC
connections.  Secure the JDBC datastream and securew the database according
to the best practices you may choose.

The final place on the server-side that any J2EE or other App server is
vulnerable is the environment.  Nail down the ACLs for your specific
environment and pay attention to the OS and the various other sevices and
apps you are running on the box (including the security services -  just had
to repair a Symantec-installed hole left when they put their IDS tools on
the production box!). Pay attention to domain and network issues, and keep
the network clean and properly configured.  Most Orion or Oracle
penetrations I've seen/heard of were actually BIND exploits or port53 DNS
issues.

With the advent of NIMDA, we see another vector for attacks:  the client
program.  With a few exceptions, Java AppServers are uniquely invulnerable
to this new vector.
Sun Client-side Security Note:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3.0/docs/guide/security/spec/security-specTOC.fm.
html

So, keep aware of general security threats, code to best practices, test
developers' code for exploits before putting it into production (85% of all
losses in the IT enterprise space are inside jobs) and be aware of normal
security precautions.

For Solaris tools see:
http://www.solaris4you.dk/sunsolaris.html

and, I'm testing the Astaro Security Linux implementation (and have
installed it for 3 clients who use Orion or Oracle 9AS with OC4J) so far
successfully.  I include a few additional patches and configuration changes,
but, in general it seems to work well. Link:
http://www.astaro.com
and
http://www.astaro.org

Comes with Enterprise VPN and AV support, too.

Also having luck with Net Screen
http://www.netscreen.com/products/index.html

Hope all this was of assistance.  Contact me offline if you have any more
specific questions on Oracle, OAS or Orion Security.  We also test
Enterprise domain-level security and manage PKI infrastructures.

Michael J. Cannon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PM/COO-hsqldb.org, Inc.
http://hsqldb.org

President, Ubiquicomm - Home of the Grupo Para Bellum Security Team
http://www.ubiquicomm.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]