Quoting Mike Cannon-Brookes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Sun, 2001-12-30 at 07:50, Ed Brown wrote:
> >
> > Quoting Aaron Tavistock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> > > Mike -
> > >
> > > Since this is a generated file in a deployment directory shouldn't
> it
> > > always
> > > be overwritten if there is a change in one of the package
> deployment
> > > descriptors?  The only reason it would be a pain in the ass is if
> you
> > > changed the generated file to suit your needs and did not change the
> one
> > > you
> > > bundle with your package.
> >
> > Which is my thought as well.
>
> Apologies but that's not really the way I see it. The deployment files
> are specific to _each_ deployment - for example if you deploy the same
> EAR on multiple machines (ie in a cluster) you would want different
> deployment files on each machine. Thus changing the one in the EAR
> would
> overwrite all deployment files.
>
> As Hani (I think) mentioned, it's easy to get XDoclet to generate your
> deployment file, and Ant to remove the old one - if you're concerned
> about development speed.

That is fine with me. What is a big problem for me is the following.

> > > If this is intended behavior, IMHO it is significantly less
> intuitive.
> > > Its
> > > kind of like saying a class should only be recompiled if you
> delete
> > > the
> > > class before recompiling, where one would expect that changing the
> > > source
> > > would be enough.
> > >
> > > Just my two cents.
> >
> > Agreed. In fact, I believe that implementation stinks. Why go through
> the "hassle" of writing the orion-ejb-jar.xml file and specifying the
> fields if the server re-writes the file as it sees fit?
>
> There are some misconceptions here - the server will not 'rewrite
> deployment files as it sees fit', in fact it takes any settings in
> orion-ejb-jar.xml and builds ontop of those. The easiest way to build
> an
> orion-ejb-jar.xml file for deployment is to:
>
> - deploy your EAR without it
> - copy the created orion-ejb-jar.xml into your source tree
> - remove any sections you don't want to customise (thereby letting
> Orion
> autogenerate them - for example it's usually nicest to specify a
> default
> datasource in orion-application.xml and let Orion take care of the
> datasources in orion-ejb-jar.xml automatically)
> - customise any you do (ie field names, table names etc)
> - delete the deployed orion-ejb-jar.xml
> - redeploy
>
> This process only really needs to be done once. At all other times the
> deployed file should work, except when you modify the
> orion-ejb-jar.xml
> then you delete it before redeployment (as above this is usually rare
> occurrence, if not - use XDoclet to generate and Ant to delete it
> every
> build if you want).

If I create an orion-ejb-jar.xml file first, and deploy it should add to it. That is
what I expected. I had persistence-name attributes that were over written by what the
Orion server expected. That should not happen but that is what happened. I had to
redeploy using the orion-ejb-jar.xml that the Orion server created, with the
persistence-name edited by me. That behavior kills the idea of hot deployment.

> As for the class analogy it's very different. Classes are compiled
> once,
> and 100% autogenerated, deployment files are created and altered by
> the
> server continually and are not fully autogenerated (see J2EE spec
> roles
> definitions). Also compiled classes are the same in all occurrences
> (or
> should be ;)) whereas deployment files are certainly not.
>
> Hope this helps clear things up - I do like this healthy debate on the
> topic though, please tell me if the above sounds unreasonable.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike
>
> --
> Mike Cannon-Brookes :: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Atlassian :: http://www.atlassian.com
>      Supporting YOUR J2EE World

Ed Brown

This mail sent via toadmail.com, web e-mail @ ToadNet - want to go fast?