You have too many variables in the process to make a good assessment.
I think you need to debug this in a structural way:
Start with the tiniest possible use case (e.g. download an .osm file and convert that into .obf) ans slowly increase your test set, until you hit the problem.

Any questions you have while doing this: please report them here.

-CP