Hi Jeff,

The notes, agent's comments and email messages are all contained in the article
table. Each ticket has an internal ID number. If you click on zoom, you'll
notice the TicketID field in your address bar. For example:
http://tickets/otrs/index.pl?Action=AgentZoom&TicketID=2892

Here, the Ticket ID is 2892. So, to find all the notes, emails, etc. you would
query the Article table for all instances of that ticket number. Like so:

Mysql> select * from article where ticket_id = 2892;

This will give you every article referenced in that ticket. The sub-table,
article_type, lists the different types of articles referenced in
article.article_type_id. In a default OTRS install, article_type_id 9 is for
note-internal.

There's a png file of the database layout at
ftp://ftp2.otrs.org/pub/otrs/misc/otrs-2.0-database.png. The layout hasn't
changed much from 1.2 to 2.0, but I haven't yet had a chance to look really
closely at 2.0 yet.

As to your second question, I'm pretty sure the frontend just queries the
database for certain fields from the article table to show the abbreviated
ticket history.

Hope this helped,
Alo