Thanks Greg,

I'll look at the permissions again - it was only in an attempt to rule that out
as a cause.

The apache error file is only giving the (13)permission denied error.  Is there
another log file I can look at for more information?

Is the <Directory> setting in the Virtual Host file or the httpd.conf file?

Here is my projectsit virtual host file

# --
# added for OTRS (http://otrs.org/)
# --

<VirtualHost 10.0.1.75>

       DocumentRoot /opt/projectsit/var/httpd/htdocs/

# agent, admin and customer frontend
ScriptAlias /projectsit/ "/opt/projectsit/bin/cgi-bin/"
Alias /projectsit-web/ "/opt/projectsit/var/httpd/htdocs/"

# load all otrs modules
Perlrequire /opt/projectsit/scripts/apache2-perl-startup.pl

#Apache2::Reload - Reload Perl Modules when Changed on Disk
#PerlModule Apache2::Reload
#PerlInitHandler Apache2::Reload

# set mod_perl2 options
<Location />
#  ErrorDocument 403 /projectsit/customer.pl
  AllowOverride None
  ErrorDocument 403 /projectsit/index.pl
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
  DirectoryIndex index.pl
</Location>

<Location /projectsit>
#  ErrorDocument 403 /projectsit/customer.pl
  AllowOverride None
  ErrorDocument 403 /projectsit/index.pl
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
  DirectoryIndex index.pl
</Location>

<LocationMatch /projectsit/.*\.pl>
  SetHandler  perl-script
  PerlHandler ModPerl::Registry
  Options +ExecCGI
  PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
</LocationMatch>

# directory settings
<Directory "/opt/projectsit/bin/cgi-bin/">
    AllowOverride None
    Options +ExecCGI -Includes
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
 </Directory>

<Directory "/opt/projectsit/var/httpd/htdocs/">
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

# MaxRequestsPerChild (so no apache child will be to big!)
#MaxRequestsPerChild 400

</VirtualHost>

and here is the extract from httpd.conf that includes the projectsit.conf file

#
# Load config files from the config directory "/etc/httpd/conf.d".
#
Include conf.d/*.conf
Include conf/otrs.conf
Include conf/hcl.conf