I would keep it simple:

-          use their e-mail address as login account

-          send that data as login account together with the link

-          have themselves send/manage their passwords through the
portal (customer.pl)

See
http://faq.otrs.org/otrs/public.pl?Action=PublicFAQ&CategoryID=5&ItemID=
70

Use can use <OTRS_CUSTOMER_DATA_UserLogin> maybe (check that data is
send from the right Customer to the right address!)

I am not sure about the password, probably _IF_ you can use
<OTRS_CUSTOMER_DATA_UserPassword>  it may very well be scrambled and
need decoding. You could try..

gr,

Frans