We have been happily using OTRS 1.3.1 since 2005 and it has been working
flawlessly ever since (I know v1.3.1 is very old but it just works!) .

A feature we use is FreeText fields which we fill using a sql statement
in a Perl script which is run when a ticket is automatically moved to a
certain queue.

With OTRS 1.3.1 we can have up 8 FreeText fields and when you zoom in on
a ticket all these are displayed on the right of the window. However,
when you click on the 'Free Text' option only 4 FreeText fields are
presented for editing!

I am sure this has been fixed in a later version of OTRS but is it
something easily fixed in the present version by editing a file/files?

This brings me to thinking about upgrading as our system is old but we
only have our working system and we have no backup system that I test a
upgrade on. Also, I have inherited the system so I do not know much
about it.

Question:

>From reading the various documents it seems that the process of
upgrading OTRS must be done in steps. Am I correct in that I cannot go
from version 1.3.1 straight to the present version but must do it in
steps. If I am correct what steps must be taken to get up to the current
version of OTRS?

Question:

Reading the UPGRADING file that came with version 1.3.1, and is present
in every subsequent release, one of its points says "Backup everything
(database, Kernel/Config.pm, Kernel/Config/GenericAgent.pm, var/*)".

I can backup the files and directories mentioned but is there any
documentation of how to backup the MySQL database as I have little
experience with it?

Thanks

Paul