Hello everybody,

     First I'd like to say hello, because I'll be able to spend more time
working
with this community, and I'm sure it will be an enjoyable journey for what
I've
seen (silently watching) during the last few years.

     I'm planning to start work (together with Anil) on the L3 High
availability area of OVN. We've been reading [1], and it seems quite
reasonable.

     We're wondering to fast forward and skip the naive active/backup
implementation
in favor of the Active/Standby (per router) based on bfd +
bundle(active_backup)
output actions, since the proposal of having ovn-northd monitoring the
gateways
seems a bit unnatural, and the difference in effort (naive vs
active/standby) is
probably not very big (warning: I tend to be optimistic).

     I spent a couple of days looking at how L3 works now, and, very
naively, I would
propose either having the redirect-chassis option of Logical_Router_Ports
accept
multiple chassis with priorities.

    For example:

        ovn-nbctl lrp-add R1 alice 00:00:02:01:02:03 172.16.1.1/24 \
             -- set Logical_Router_Port alice

Or multiple chassis without priorities:

        ovn-nbctl lrp-add R1 alice 00:00:02:01:02:03 172.16.1.1/24 \
             -- set Logical_Router_Port alice

        (and in this case we let ovn decide -and may be rewrite the option-
how to balance
priorities between gateways to spread the load)

        We may want to have another field in the Logical_Router_Port, to
let us know which
one(s) is(are) the active gateway(s)

       This logical model would also allow for Active/Active L3 when we
have that implemented,
for example by assigning the same priorities.

       Alternatively we could have two options:
          * ha-redirect-chassis=<chassis>:<priority>[ ..
:<chassis2>:<priority2>]
          * ha-redirect-mode=active_standby/active_active

Best regards,
Miguel Ángel Ajo

[1]
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/Documentation/topics/high-availability.rst