On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

How do you get [print] to print a peachy string?
in the way we (including miller) kind of agreed at LAC2008 the answer
is simple: you don't.
I'd be more worried about what to do when arbitrary atom-type-agnostic
objects keep copies of my atoms around long after my world has
deallocated the memory pointed to, and what to do when those expired
atoms come back into my world...

Well, I'd be more worried about that too, but the thing is, I wanted to probe with a simple issue that has an obvious solution, and if everybody at LAC «kind of agreed» to Miller's not-giving-a-damn answer, nothing is going to be happening with a can-of-wormsish issue like memory allocation handling that potentially involves the interface to externals and all of the source code of all externals.