Hallo,
Ken Restivo hat gesagt: // Ken Restivo wrote:

>       2's complement from 64/Relative (Binary Offset)
>       2's Complement from 0 / relative (2's Complement)
>       Sign Magnitude / Relative (Signed Bit)
>       Sign Magnitude / Relative (Signed Bit 2)
>       Single Value Increment/Decrement

What does "Single Value Increment/Decrement" do? Sounds interesting as
well and may save some work.

>       RPN Increment/Decrement Message
>       NRPN Increment/Decrement Message
>
> I tried each of these and peeked at the MIDI stream to see what they do, and
> also at the output of PD's ctlin to see what might emerge. The "sign
> magnitude" and "2's complement" ones look pretty promising: they indicate
> which direction (up/down) and how fast you spin the thing.

Assuming you get -1 and 1 for down and up and any positive number for
speed, you can multiply both numbers to get a stream of single
numbers. Then you just accumulate these numbers using the standard
accumulator idiom:

 [+ ]x[f ]

 [0\

(See the counting.pd tutorial that I posted on this list several times
for details.)

> Now, to turn those numbers into a float between -1 and 0 that I can
> use for controlling various parameters in PD.

I don't think this makes sense: What should 0 and -1 indicate? The
rotary controller doesn't have any left and right borders that could
be mapped to be -1 and 0. And I also don't think, mapping -1 to min
and 0 to max speed makes sense either.

Ciao