From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: Wake up

>Bill,
>
>I've got to agree with Peter.  I've looked at demographics in the USA
professionally, and the USA is generally and specifically very rich.  You
could drop a McDonald's down in almost any neighborhood and have enough
customers (400,000-500,000 per year) who can afford a $3.50 meal to make a
hansome profit.  Almost everybody has enough disposable income to afford to
the luxury of spending on eating a meal away from home.

>This is not the case in the third world.
>
>As for camera sales, someone published a link to Japanese camera export
figures here last year.  If I remember correctly, exports divided roughly
evenly with the most to the EU, 2nd to North America, and 3rd place to the
rest of the world.  Of course, this doesn't account for sales in Japan, but
I suspect it is good sized.

>Based on this, I'd guess the Japanese pay attention to the home market
first.  The research and feedback is just plain easier to do.  Mercedes and
Range-Rover may pay attention to their email lists, but Pentax isn't selling
items with a $40,000 to $60,000 price tag.  They don't have the profits to
keep up this kind of research.