Pål Jensen writes:

> If product doesn't please the customer it won't make any profit. Of course
> shareholders and other types of market research is important but if it fails to
> please the customers you're out of luck.

 I was on a work-related course last year.  The first week was based around
marketing (the other 4 weeks were for us engineers).  And the outcome of
that first week?  "Go out and talk to your customers and find out what they
want."  It sounds obvious but it seems that the larger the corporation, the
less responsive you become because there are so many layers between the
customer and the designer (with a fair bit of politics going on at each stage).

 The course instructor used to work at Polaroid and he led us through the
development of their medical macro camera (even though we're in electronics
the marketing principles still apply).  They actually sent engineers out to talk
to doctors, watched them use the existing products (and thus got to see all
the little frustrations), and asked them what they specifically wanted.  The
resulting product was a huge success.

 If this kind of principle were applied to the pro and/or serious amateur
photographic market there may be a similar success.  And I'm not talking
about a few sponsored photographers (I bet we all wish Pentax would
sponsor us!).  This mailing list would be an extremely powerful tool for that
purpose and I don't doubt that Pentax is listening to us.  In fact, I believe
they'd be crazy not to, despite all the off-topic stuff.

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E.
email [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield
go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Visit the PUG at
http://pug.komkon.org.