Well Peter you still had a hundred bucks.  What would you think if you
had spent that $100 six months earlier?  There are a million people here
in the States that think a refrigerator box is luxury accommodations
having to make do with a park bench or a doorway.  Yes if you are
healthy, reasonably intelligent, and willing to work you can make do.
Though have you thought what the possibilities are of finding a job if
you don't have transportation.  Hint: most of the applications for lower
class jobs have a question like "How are you going to get to work", if
you put down anything but "car" you won't get hired.  I also wonder
where that guy pushing a shopping basket with everything he owns in it
parks his Caddilac?
--Tom