On  Sat, 3 Feb 2001 at 15:23:45 -0800, Joseph McAllister
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 02/03/2001 14:39, Rofini opined:
>
> >The high price may be due to low
> >production volume.
>
> It's still in the catalog, and I doubt they've actually manufactured
> any since the mid 80's.
>
> So their production volume was too great to begin with, don't ya
> think?

I would think that when a given lens is to be manufactured, there's a
minimum quantity worth making, say a thousand  units. With a
specialized lens such as the Pentax 28mm shift that sells very
slowly, not only are the costs of setting up the production line for
it amortized over fewer units (to say nothing of the extra cost of
parts), but there are the capital costs of holding them in stock
unsold for many years.

The high price should be no surprise.

Note, btw, that the shift lens uses quite a different optical formula
from the M and K series 28mm f/3.5 models.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada