Chris wrote:

> AFAIK, all of the Pentax M42 lenses *do* have manual stop do have manual
> stop-down.  Even the SMC-Taks and Super-Taks (as well as some
> Auto-Taks) have a sliding auto/manual switch to stop down the
> aperture.  You'll need to manually stop down the aperture to meter
> properly and to take the shot.  It's not the fastest route if you're in a
> hurry to take pictures, but then there's AF lenses for times like
> those.  :)

Ok that solves it - I was aware that some screw lenses had a stop down
switch but the one I've just been experimenting with (a Pentacon) doesn't,
just a pin that the screw body pushes.  If all the Takumars do have a manual
switch then no prob.

> OTOH, if you don't ever plan on using M42 bodies, then you may as well get
> K-mount lenses.  They can be more expensive sometimes, but are easier to
> switch between bodies if you have more than one K-mount body.  You could
> do worse than getting some nice M42 Pentax lenses and a body or two,
> though.  :)

Already have an old fully mechanical Praktica body as a starting point to
try with hence the pentacon lens.  I sold it to a friend when I upgraded in
1977 ish.  Reading about the enthusiasm for screw mount on this group got me
to phone him to see if he still had it and lo & behold it's back in my hands
looking as new as the day it left me.  Didnt want to go looking for
glassware though if they weren't also usable on my other bodies.

Thanks for response.

Peter