Bill Peifer wrote:

>It's often impossible to focus your lens at reduced aperture (not enough
>light to see the scene
>clearly), so you may have to set the aperture wide open in order to focus,
>then stop it down to meter and shoot.  Someone on the list noted that you
>can think of stop-down metering as "built-in depth-of-field preview" -- a
>pretty good way to think about it.

I know Bill is talking about stop down metering rather than DOF in
particular but he clearly states how I feel aboout DOF buttons on cameras.
I find because of the image dimming my eyesight is incapable of fully
appreciating the depth of focus in the viewfinder image. Therefore the DOF
button is useless to me.  I know many correspondents here regard this
feature as essential - but can they actually use it.  When is it most
useful? (macro work I assume). I personally would be interested in other's
views.

Regards

Peter