Mafud wrote:

>STORAGE?
>*If they store their images in or on cards, hard drives or tape, will the
contemporary (circa 2001C.E.) playback >devices be able to retrieve or even
view their images?
>Remember, unless the owner is wealthy and can pay for off-(home) site
storage, the storage problem alone >becomes problematically exponential***.
>***More storage, more retrieval equipment, more disc-card-drive
investments, more cataloging and archiving >costs, more room in absolute
terms.

Storage is an issue regardless of format. 4X6's  and 8X10 add up. Binders to
store slides and negatives also start piling up. Either way, I think it's
fairly manageable for anyone.
Digital means of storage change fairly slowly and people have more than
enough time to transfer between forms of media. I don't think I've "lost"
any files on my 51/4 floppies cause I didn't transfer them quickly enough to
my 3.5's. I got my ZIP drive pretty early on for a little more than $100.
Pretty soon, I'm going to get a CD-R for a little more. These aren't HUGE
upgrade costs and for the most part, they've happened with each inevitable
computer upgrade. Digital means of storage keep getting more efficient for
the same cost. This will always be true for the camera media cards and
readers. They'll keep getting better and cheaper and no one will be left
behind. It just isn't that hard nor is it hugely expensive...
There certainly haven't been any advances in analog forms of storage. My
binders of slides aren't getting any smaller and my prints aren't stacking
any flatter. If I ever have to pay for any off-site storage, it will
certainly not be for digital images....
Make no mistake, I'm not advocating going digital. Heck, I'm looking for a
view camera. Digital storage, just like analog storage, is a fairly
manageable issue.

Mark