> While the moon is, no doubt, not perfecty spherical, the same
> reference
> works that describe the earth as an ellipsoid do call the
> moon spherical.
> As it has a much lower rotational frequency there are less
> forces working
> to distort the moon from a spherical shape.  It has much
> greater rigidity
> than the earth, as well.

I wonder if the earth would be any "rounder" if the water was all removed
instantaneously.  Ignoring the cataclysm this would probably initiate.?

I have seen photographs of the earth from far enough out to show the whole
planet and the equatorial bulge, for the lack of a better term, is quite
noticeable.

There are other planets and planetary satellites that are not very round, as
well.

But, I like my other explanation better.  Seen at other than the exact time
of a full moon, the moon would also look oval instead of round.  And, the
human mind does "adjust" what you see to conform to what it "knows", so
ovals can appear as perfect circles.

Len
---