I recognize that, Bill.  heck, I do the same sort of thing at times.  My
point - my hope - is that film won't disappear.  It is, however, clear that
more and more people are using digital cameras, and fewer are buying film
cameras.  A friend made this comment recently, and it's something for some
people to consider:  "... when you go much bigger the digital image
disintegrates into pixels but the film just gets softer and grain gets
bigger. There is still a film image."

Most people don't print large, and many people are quite satisfied with
8x10 sized prints, while most prints are made quite a bit smaller.  But
when the time comes to make those 16x20 prints from current digital slr
cameras with 6mp sensors, there is going to be some substantial quality
differences between digital and film.  Yes, digital results can be improved
in many ways, and i have seen some startling good results, but that
requires a higher and more expensive technology.  And, of course, Joe
doesn't usually make large prints.

And then there's B&W ... a realm unto itself, it seems <LOL>

IAC, the thread here is about the practicality of film, and, in many
instances, it's still quite practical and useful.  Will it forever remain
so?  Probably not from the POV of the average consumer, but, as you say,
there will probably be an enthusiast and artisan market.  I think it'll be
like many other goods and services, where there are consumers willing and
able to do whatever it takes to get the quality they want.

Shel Belinkoff