On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 20:37:35 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>just checking, anyone know what a reasonable price is for an SMC A 100 2.8
>macro?
>
>Frank

>From the replies I've seen, there is no reasonable price for this lens
- it sells for unreasonable prices.

If one really wants a lens to use and not to fondle or make the heart
burst with pride at one's excellent taste in lenses, then any of the
90-105mm f2.8 MF or AF lenses should be a good choice.   I've not
heard any bad about any of them.

When I added a Nikon camera to my kit, I wanted a 100mm Macro lens
that went to 1:1 magnification.  Being broke because of the expensive
D100 purchase, I did not want the Nikon AF version.  I already had a
nice Pentax FA 100/2.8 Macro that cost close to $500.

So a very quick search of the usual used sites found me a Kiron manual
focus 105/f2.8 Macro in Nikon mount.  It is every bit as good as my
Pentax FA 100/2.8 Macro, except for lack of autofocus.  But the
difference in price?  The 25-year-old Kiron cost about a hundred
bucks, which was the going rate and not some super lucky bargain.

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com