boy. you know how to get a point across. thats the best way i have ever
heard it said.

*Maybe* most of us believe it, but we see an awful lot of snobbery and
one-upmanship for me to truly believe that we truly believe it.  You've got
people who imply that you're not a 'real' photographer unless you use X, or
that 'real' photographers know how to Y, or that in my day, when we *really*
had to be photographers, we learned to Z.

Bull puckie thrice over.  It is just as possible to be a technically
proficient hack as it is to be a full-auto hack.  The former just takes
longer to learn than the latter.  Kenny G is technically brilliant on the
saxophone.  Van Morrison is an inspired primitive on the saxophone.  Which
of the two makes better music?  Of course, you can be technically proficient
AND make good music (or pictures), but the latter does not naturally follow
from the former.

The only thing 'real' photographers do is make good pictures.  We've seen as
crappy shots from people who control every step of the process as we have
from people who use their cameras exclusively in full auto mode.  The only
difference is the tricks you have to use to make the camera put what you
want on the film.